Text

Fashionista ~ Career Woman ~ Op Shopper ~ Online Shopping Addict ~ Bargain Hunter ~ Child Rearer ~ Book Reader ~ Social Commentator

Friday, November 08, 2013

In Search of a Kitty Cat


I have decided to get a cat. This is partly brought on by loneliness (I broke up with my boyfriend about a month ago). I have wanted a dog for a long time as I am definitely more of a dog person than a cat person. Then my Aunty, Uncle and cousins went away for a weekend and left their dog with me to look after. It completely put me off the idea of getting a dog. Their little mutt kept me awake all night with its barking, whining and when I eventually let it inside, jumping all over me on my bed and running around the house like a crazy monster. It put into perspective how high maintenance dogs are, and I only have a smallish courtyard which just wouldn't be fair. I also work long hours, and while I would walk the dog every day, it would spend a lot of time alone.

My first stop was Gumtree, the online classifieds site. It is mind blowing how many cats there are up for adoption, and the amount of irresponsible pet owners. A common statement is "We're moving so we need to find a new home for our cat". Another is "We aren't allowed pets at our new rental". Surely you shouldn't get a cat if you are likely to need to get rid of it in the near future!? People treat them like toys that can be disposed of.

There are also a number of cats that haven't been desexed or vaccinated and people giving away kittens because their cat just had a litter. No wonder so many cats are put down every year by cat havens!

I first settled on a moggy called Felix (pictured above). According to the owner, he is one year old and timid yet affectionate. He has been an inside cat but is vaccinated and desexed (which ticks boxes for me!). He came with a cat scratcher, food, litter, litter box, bed, carry case etc meaning I wouldn't have to buy accessories to begin with (another tick!).

Unfortunately, over a 3 week period Felix's owner cancelled my visit 3 times at the last minute. She lives an hour away, so each time I had put aside an afternoon for travel time etc, worked myself up into excitement and was then sorely dissapointed when she cancelled (on all 3 occasions, she cancelled literally as I was leaving the house or work). The first time her son had gastro apparently, the next time she had to work late and the third time her son had been hospitalised due to an asthma attack. She assured me that her partner would be home all week and I could come any time I wanted (4th time lucky) but then suddenly became prescriptive and said I could only come on a Thursday night. At that point I snapped inside, and gave up on this annoying woman and her poor kitty. Seriously, thanks for messing me around! Something tells me that she's a nutter and not genuine.

Luckily, there are plenty of other cats wanting a loving home. At the moment I am choosing between Chandler and Jack, both 2 years old. I am leaning towards Chandler, although of course I'll want to meet him first :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...